Welcome to.....

Fine Art from the Ancient World

Exceptional Antiquities, carefully selected for their historical importance, intrinsic beauty and artistic value.



Enter Name

Enter email address

subscribe
unsubscribe




Shopping cart  Shopping cart
0 Product(s) in cart
Total $ 0
» Checkout

Cards

 Checkout
A Roman Green Glass Double Balsamarium with Applied Handles, c. 4th century A.D.
Reference No: RG189
A Roman Green Glass Double Balsamarium with Applied Handles, c. 4th century A.D.
Price : $ 1,500
EUR 1,398.15 GBP 1,195.65 AUD 2,299.50
|

Acquired in Phoenicia, this double flask with glass thread trailed horizontally around the middle of the body.  Four fragments of the trailed handles remain attached; two on either side of the mouth and two emerging a little way down the body.  Smithsonian museum number 299750 applied in black pigment to the body.

Reference: Hayes J. W. Roman and Pre-Roman Glass in the Royal Ontario Museum. Toronto, 1975. Susan H. Auth "Ancient Glass at the Newark Museum from the Eugene Schaefer collection" (1976). 

Condition:  There is fragile iridescence on the outside and inside, much of the inside is covered with a layer of iridescence and dirt.  Most of the handles have been lost, as described, and small sections of the trailed decoration have been lost as well.  Otherwise intact, with museum quality custom mount.
 

Dimensions: Height 4.5 inches (11.5 centimeters) 

Published: McGovern-Huffman, S. "Magical, Mystical Roman Glass, the Lenman/Stohlman Collection of Ancient Roman Glass" (2012) pg 63.

Provenance: Forming part of the Lenman/Stohlman collection assembled by the Washington D.C. socialite Miss Isobel H. Lenman (1845 - 1931), in the early 1900’s. Loaned and accessioned by the Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C., between 1916 and 1921 where it was exhibited until her death in 1931. Thereafter, the collection was returned to her heirs and sold around 1937 to Dr. Martin Stohlman, remaining with the Stohlman family until 2011.